Thursday, April 12, 2012

Projects, The pan experiment

*Update* I was told by one of my mom's friends to use ketchup.  I shrugged my shoulders and thought why not.  Ketchup is vinegar based. I soaked it overnight. The results were pretty amazing, but my pan is not restored back just quite yet.  Here are the pics.

Before I went to sleep I rubbed ketchup all over my pan. Then I laid it on a plate face down.


When I awoke there was a blue paste on my pan.  I looked this up on google and it said:
  "hydrogen mixed with oxygen. When these two mix the setharene inside the hydrogen combines with the glucomate in oxygen to produce setharene glucomide. This invokes a pigment in the copper sulphate with a tiny electrical impulse. It then turns blue."  

Apparently I am a great scientist because there is a formula to do this (NH3 + H2O NH4+ + OH-.)  Yep.


 Anyways, wherever the blue paste was the grime just came off.



 I am going to soak it in my mom's paste next over night. ( dish soap, white vinegar, and baking soda)  
Is it weird I find this fun?



_________________________________________________________________________________ 
I have eight Paula Dean pans that have shiny beautiful copper bottoms. I really don't know how my frying pan got like this. I use this one the most out of all my pans. It still works great and it is my favorite.  I wanted to try  to restore it as much as possible.

  

                The experimental ingredients: Vegetable oil, Baking soda, Hydrogen peroxide,  half of a potato, and salt.  I used all of these in different combinations. (I know the pan seems hopeless) lol

The best combination I came up with:  First applying 1 tablespoon of  vegetable oil with a tablespoon of baking soda (you really could eye ball it).  Rub it with your fingers on the pan.  Next sprinkle salt and scrub with a half potato. 

 As you can tell there is a difference.  In the before section I did go around the rim, but that is the only part I messed with.  I am going to keep doing this treatment and see if it will restore it back.  Dish soap is just not cutting it. (I will do an update blog) 

No comments:

Post a Comment